Saturday, August 22, 2009


Went the Grapes of Kath vineyard for the annual grape stomp celebration. Tasted some very interesting wines today. Picked some grapes (Muscadine Noble) while I was there. After arriving home almost immediately crushed the grapes and started my first batch of Muscadine wine. Took measurement of SG and calculated what should have been the correct sugar amount. Disolved and added. Oops too high. I was going for a dry wine. Added some water and brought the SG down to 1.120 still higher than I want. So I guess I will be making a semi-sweet wine instead. I will be using Pasteur Red Yeast so it might push the alcohol higher instead only time will till. Added Potassium Metabisulfite and pectic ezyme. Now tomorrow i will check the SG again before adding the yeast.
Lesson learned: go slow with the sugar and add in small quantities.

No comments:

Post a Comment