Friday, May 20, 2011

Blueberry Melomel (Mead)

I was planning on making a Blueberry Melomel (Mead) this summer after I picked all my Blueberries.  I would have to add some frozen ones as well to have enough.  But a wonderful present appeared on the door step yesterday.  A 1 gallon bucket of Blueberries (a little over 6 lbs.) dropped off by some friends of ours that have a 15 acre Blueberry patch .  Just the right amount I needed for a 3 gallon batch.  So I proceeded to wash and crush the berries.  Heated up some water and dissolved 6 lbs of honey into it. Stretched a 5 gallon paint strainer bag over the mouth of the 5g fermenting bucket and started pouring in the crushed Blueberries.

Blueberry Melomel
  • 6-7lbs honey
  • 6 lbs Blueberries
  • 30 drops Pectic Enzyme
  • 3 tsp Yeast Nutrient
  • 1 1/2 Tsp Yeast Energizer
  • 4 Campden tablets to sanitize must
  • EC-1118 Yeast in a starter
Initially only added 6 lbs honey, but after checking the SG 18 hours later it was 1.072.  I added another 1 lbs or so of honey to get an SG of 1.082.  I want it to have no trouble fermenting since it is in an open fermenter.  So I decided to us EC-1118. I will ferment it dry and after stabilizing back sweeten to about 1.010 using honey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment