Monday, February 15, 2010

Mead

I have friend who brought up the idea of making some Mead.  I have tried mead only once, Chaucer's Mead.  It is sweet mead at 10% abv and not too bad.  I thought that possibly a little more Alcohol and not as sweet would be a good start. for some Mead.  I did a lot of searching and decided to use Jack Keller's Recipe for semi-dry as a guideline.

2.5 - 3 lbs quality varietal honey
1-1/4 tsp yeast nutrient
1-1/2 tsp citric acid (Acid Blend)
1/4 tsp yeast energizer
Water to make up 1 gal (about 3 liters
1 sachet Montrachet yeast (Côte des Blancs)

My Actual Recipe

9 lbs Clover honey
4 tsp yeast nutrient
1-1/2 tsp Acid Blend
3/4 tsp yeast energizer
Water to make up 3 gal + a finger width
1 sachet Côte des Blancs

I decided to make a 3 gallon batch since I have a 4 gallon carboy and a 3 gallon emptying soon.  I got 9 lbs of Clover Honey from Wal-Mart.  I decided to use a different Yeast than Jack used.  I did some research and decided to try Côte des Blancs.It appears to have some favorable characteristics for Mead making.  Starting SG 1.103 (with temp adjustment)
Target SG 1.015
This will put it near 12% abv and Semi Sweet.  Just what I am looking for.
Stay Tuned

2/16/10  The little yeasties appear very happy this morning
2/20/10  Checked SG this morning 1.040

No comments:

Post a Comment