Saturday, February 20, 2010

Grapefruit

I was in Webbs Candy the other day and was looking at their Florida Wines.  They sell a lot of Wines made by Florida Orange Groves Inc, and Winery.  I noticed a wine from Grapefruit, it had a nice pale straw color. Then I remembered I had a fellow co-worker give me a big bag of Ruby Red Grapefruit the other day. I got thinking, OK, I could make make Grapefruit wine.  Did some looking on the internet, of course Jack Keller was the first instinct.  And of course he did not let me down.  Several versions of Grapefruit Wines.  And here is the one I decided on using:

----------------------------------------

GRAPEFRUIT WINE (Dry) (1)
  • 6 large grapefruit
  • 2-1/2 lbs granulated sugar
  • water to 1 gal
  • 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
  • 1 crushed Campden tablet
  • 1 tsp yeast starter
  • Sauterne yeast
Scrub grapefruit clean. Peel one grapefruit thinly, making sure no white pith adheres to peel. Put peel in primary with half the sugar, the crushed Campden tablet, juice from all six grapefruit, yeast nutrient, and enough water to bring up to one gallon, stirring well to dissolve sugar. Cover primary with clean cloth. After 12 hours, add pectic enzyme. After additional 12 hours, add yeast. After two days of vigorous fermentation, add remaining sugar, stir well, and allow additional two days vigorous fermentation in primary. Discard peel, transfer to secondary and fit airlock. Rack every 30 days, topping up each time. After fifth racking, bottle and set aside at least 6 months. [Adapted from Dorothy Alatorre's Home Wines of North American

----------------------------------------

I did not have what I would call large Grapefruit, so I used 8.
I added 1.5lbs of the sugar. Fermex Yeast Nutrient and used Montrachet Yeast.
SG=1.080
Recipe calls to add 1lb more sugar, the only problem that would put the PA way above where I would like it.  So I will probably add only 5-8oz more sugar to add 0.015 to the SG. This should make a nice dry wine around 12-13% abv.

2/21/10:  Added the rest of the sugar about 6oz raised the SG by 0.010 so the effective starting SG would be 1.090 which will put it in the 12% range when finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment