Monday, December 28, 2009

Orange/Muscat Dessert Wine (3gal kit)


I received an Orange Muscat Port Style kit from my wife for Christmas.  Unfortunately the bag has a leak and some juice has been leaking out.  I contacted the Company that it was ordered from and they are shipping a replacement kit. They did not want it shipped backed, they will put in a claim with FedEx.  Since I still have the kit I figured I might as make it. Followed the instructions provided except I added 3 Campden tablets to sterilize the must in case the leak causes a problem with it. Added the Bentonite and will add the yeast after 24 hours.  Staring SG is 1.160  using Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast this will finish sweet at about 18-19% alc. Includes a Flavor/Juice pack to add at the end.  Let see what happens.  The Juice could be bad so it may not come out.  I taste tested the juice and it appeared to be ok.

12/29/2009:  Added yeast starter prepared the method in the instructions

12/30/2009:  No Active fermentation.  Completely still and almost clear.  Created a new starter with a similar yeast K1V-1116 incorporating 2 packages as originally suggested in the instructions.  This is one very active yeast starter before adding to the must.

12/31/2009:  Fermentation is really rolling now

No comments:

Post a Comment